...

Palm Beach State College STUDENT SERVICES Advising Cluster Minutes

by user

on
Category: Documents
2

views

Report

Comments

Transcript

Palm Beach State College STUDENT SERVICES Advising Cluster Minutes
Palm Beach State College
STUDENT SERVICES
Advising Cluster Minutes
9:00am, Thursday, November 18, 2010
Lake Worth Campus
CALLED TO ORDER: 9:10am
PRESENT:
Dawn DeBuvitz, Ron Long (Chair), Penny McIsaac, Gwen Royal, Bob Schweriner
GUEST:
Faith Proper, Student Trustee
ABSENT:
Mily Davila, Jane Hardell, Susan Lang
ITEM 1:
ACCESS TO ADVISING SHARED FOLDER
Discussion:
There was a request from the Project Reach Advisor to have access to the advising
shared folder. Cluster members discussed who should have access to this folder and
why it should be allowed. The folder contains documents used by advising offices (i.e.
steps to enroll, testing information, program advising guides, etc.). It was decided that
whoever would like access should be allowed to have access.
Action:
Ron will contact Mollie Rhodes to inform her that Joan Roberts will be granted access to
the folder. Mollie will have to contact IT with information upon Ron’s approval.
ITEM 2:
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT DAY DEBRIEF
Discussion:
Cluster members reviewed evaluations from the Advising Cluster meeting held on
Professional Development Day (PDD) on October 27. Overall, comments were positive
and some suggestions were made for future meetings.
There was discussion about how we may want to utilize our cluster time at future PDDs.
Bob suggested that some time be allotted for each campus to hold division meetings.
Ron suggested perhaps having small group activities vs. one large group activity.
Perhaps giving staff members choices for activities.
Action:
Dawn will work with Susan Lang regarding compiling results from the Advising Session
Checklist workshop. Once completed, coordinators will make and laminate copies to
distribute to staff.
ITEM 3:
LEARNING OUTCOMES
1
Discussion:
Ron and Penny attended a meeting with Susan Lang, Dr. Anderson and Helen Shub
regarding learning outcomes for SACS. We will need to conduct 2nd surveys to assess
learning outcomes for advising and orientation. It was decided that we will reduce our
advising learning outcomes from five to three. We will conduct a paper survey in
January or February.
Action:
A paper survey will be conducted in January or February to assess advising learning
outcomes. Susan will prepare and send students an electronic survey (Survey Monkey)
to assess orientation learning outcomes.
ITEM 4:
PRINT EFFICIENCY INITIATIVE
Discussion:
Ron discussed his concerns about the College’s print efficiency initiative. This initiative
is designed to eliminate inkjet printing, reduce the College’s overall print fleet and
centralize and reduce color printing. Some staff members will no longer have desktop
printers but will have to use a network/centralized printer. Ron feels that taking printers
away from advisors will have a negative impact on how we do our jobs and that students
will suffer.
Action:
Ron will speak with Scott regarding the situation on the Palm Beach Gardens campus.
The cluster may possibly take on this issue and present a proposal to the College.
ITEM 5:
LINK TO FAU PROPOSAL
Discussion:
Susan Lang provided copies of a proposed agreement between Palm Beach State
College and FAU called “Link to FAU.” This is a program that FAU currently has with
Broward College which guarantees admission to FAU for our transfer students who meet
criteria by the time they graduate from Palm Beach State. More information will be
available as the program/articulation is finalized.
Action:
None.
ITEM 6:
ALL DAY ADVISOR IN-SERVICE MEETING – FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 18, 2011
Discussion:
This meeting will take place in Lake Worth. Dawn and Mily will be site coordinators.
Topics for the all day advisor in-service meeting were discussed:
 Review how we advise programs (AA, AS, AAS)
 What handouts do we use vs. using the web
 What’s on our website?
 Advising tips
 Roundtable of hot topics
 Review of Patti’s webinars
 Program updates (Nursing & HESI, bachelor’s programs, Link to FAU, etc.)
Action:
Coordinators will survey their staffs for “hot topics” and send those items to Ron. If
necessary we will invite the appropriate department(s) to address those topics. The
cluster will meet in January to finalize plans for this meeting.
2
ITEM 7:
TRANSFER RESOURCES WEBPAGE
Discussion:
There was discussion about developing a transfer resources webpage. See item #8.
Action:
The campus transfer coordinators will be asked to work on this project with Jim Wallen
and/or Tish Sailer.
ITEM 8:
STUDENT TRUSTEE
Discussion:
Faith Proper, student representative to the Board of Trustees, came to talk to the cluster
about transfer resources. As a result of student forums and discussions with Dr.
Anderson and Dr. Gallon, she feels students need more information about transferring
from Palm Beach State College. She suggested developing a webpage with links and
other resource to assist students with the transfer process. She indicated that Phi Theta
Kappa has a search engine (collegefish.org) that could be one of the links. At this time
that website does not allow public access. It is only available to PTK members.
Action:
The campus transfer coordinators will be asked to work on this project with Jim Wallen
and/or Tish Sailer.
NEXT MEETING:
The December meeting will be cancelled. Tentative meeting to be held January 14 to
discuss all day advisor in-service meeting.
ADJOURNMENT:
11:20am
Scribed and submitted by:
Dawn DeBuvitz
3
Fly UP